Thursday, April 7, 2011

Susan

This is a book called The Broken Wrist Project. The art on the cover is by Fabrizio Moretti - yes, That Fabrizio. You can find out more about the project here.

I sent this book to my mother-in-law because she is an artist, art lover and the most open-minded person I know. I'm curious to hear what she thinks about the book and, specifically, about the art.  I have tried to give this book away twice, without success. Not out of loathing, but because I'm cleaning and purging and passing things along. I think all books, art and music have a home in this world, somewhere. No matter the subject or alleged quality. It's simply a matter of finding the right audience. To each his own, and all that.

My friend Mark Murphy is mad at me right now because I said I like pretty art. He was instantly and viscerally offended by that, even though I didn't use any other descriptors. His reaction genuinely surprised me. I simply said that I would like a proposed mural outside of my flower shop to be 'pretty' and I guess to him that was like saying 'diarrhea fecal matter doodoo in your face.' Yikes! He actually stepped away from me when I said the word. Is 'pretty' Mark's kryptonite?

Check out his upcoming solo show, Plug ME, at Subtext on April 15th.
He may not like pretty, but he's no turkey.

Update:

Sarah : thanks for sharing : I am and never have been mad at you : I was not offended either, I think you may have taken out of context : the context was Do I know any artists who “do pretty.” I mentioned that I do not know mural painters or folks that paint in a pretty style, but contemporary : and in the day of good words, vibes and information to be shared, this is the truth and your blog not representing the whole picture : all best : mark murphy

3 comments:

  1. dear sarah,

    i think you are pretty.

    When i look into those pretty eyes of yours, i am drawn into your soul that shares with me love and sorrow at the same time. At first glance you are pretty, then when i study closer the art of who you are, I am moved by your intricacies....and you are still pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,
    You are delicate, graceful, and extraordinary. I adore your creative and expressive approach to life. Thank you for being both family and my cherished friend.
    Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete