Thursday, March 31, 2011
Mom
Sent a book to mi mama.
Not a favorite but how many authors of fiction write about, near or on any subject related to the Salton Sea? I really wanted to love this book as I thought it was an astounding coincidence that I picked it up not two days after driving by the giant lake for the first time in twenty five years. It was a beautifully overcast day - the best coat for the desert. I was awestruck by how, well, pretty everything was. My dad, who drives Hwy 86 several times a week, insisted I was wrong. So, not pretty. Maybe it was the grim task we had before us. I was still having a beauty, love crush half an hour later, marveling at a ginormous flock of birds flipping out and swarming over a kale crop or something, when I smacked right into one - a bird! Smacked! My windshield! I cried and called my husband to tell him what a horrible jerk I am, a bird killer, both a lover and killer of birds. I finished the long, quiet, hiccupy ride to Jacumba thinking about nature, technology and the intersection of and conflict between the two.
I think this book came to me for a reason.
Update:
Dad says:
"It is almost time for the algae to bubble to the surface... I hope you get a chance to experience that unique phenomenon in all it's effervescent glory mixed with the blooming Lupine, Verbenia, and Brittlebush. A smell not to be forgotten!"
I just knew it was pretty!
4/6
Update to the Update:
Dad says he was trying to be funny and the smell is Horrendous. So, not pretty? Foiled again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment